There are thousands of online traffic schools in California, which means choosing the best one for clearing your ticket or masking points on your license can be harder than it appears.
Two popular options are Best Online Traffic School and Urban Traffic School, and the fact that they seem so similar on the surface can make it even harder to choose one over the other.
But one of these schools is actually a better choice.
As you’ll see below, we aren’t 100 percent sure about some of the information we found about Urban Traffic School. We found different pages on its website that contained contradictory information, broken links, and claims about Yelp ratings that were just untrue. We reached out to Urban Traffic School’s customer support team, and received information that didn’t match what was listed on the website, which made us even more unsure of how trustworthy this school might be.
Additionally, Urban Traffic School advertises a low course fee, but doesn’t include common features that other schools do. Instead, it charges extra fees that mean you’ll end up paying more than you would for many other schools.
For these reasons, we think Best Online Traffic School is the best choice in California. Read on for our full comparison.
Urban Traffic School vs Best Online Traffic School
We think we are, here at Best Online Traffic School. With just a visit to our website, you can learn everything you need to know about how and when you can take our course, how long it takes to complete, what’s required, and how much it costs.
When you’re searching for the right traffic school, you need as much information as possible at your fingertips so you can quickly and easily compare programs. That’s why Best Online Traffic School is the best option in California.
But don’t just take our word for it. Here’s how Best Online Traffic School compares to Urban Traffic School in features, requirements, pricing, and customer experience.
License and Business Information
The first thing you should look for with any online traffic school is whether it’s licensed in the state and county where you received your ticket. Both BOTS and Urban Traffic School are licensed by the California DMV in all counties in the state.
Best Online Traffic School, first licensed in 2018, currently holds license number E1314. Best Online is only licensed in California, and not any other states. For California residents, though, this is good news — we’re experts on California traffic laws and traffic school regulations. We meet DMV requirements in all 58 counties, and you can take our course from anywhere in the state. We’re a California DMV Licensed Online Traffic School, and our course is accepted by all courts in California. We’re also one of the only traffic schools in the state to provide the course in English and Spanish with free audio narration.
Its California DMV license shows that Best Online Traffic School is located at 133 N Altadena Dr Ste 215 in Pasadena, California. It’s owned by Prat City, LLC, and operated by Rodney Yo. You can reach Best Online Traffic School by email at [email protected], or by phone at (530) 553-8813.
Urban Traffic School holds California DMV license number E0538. It was first licensed in 2014. According to its DMV license, Urban Traffic School has previously been placed on probation, though the DMV mark does not provide any information about why.
Urban Traffic School is located at 1776 Clear Lake Ave., Ste. 200 in Milpitas, California. It’s owned by Raj Ami, Inc., and operated by Chirag Hasmukhbhai Patel. It can be reached by phone at (408) 634-3232.
Urban Traffic School is licensed in all of California’s counties, as well as a number of other states.
What Common Features Are Included?
Online traffic schools may seem like they all offer the same thing, but that’s actually not true. There are so many features that can offer you added convenience, and different schools offer different sets of features.
Here’s what you get included in your course fees for BOTS and Urban Traffic School (UTS).
What forms of payment are accepted?
- UTS – Accepts major credit and debit cards. They accept PayPal as well.
- BOTS – All major credit and debit cards, including internationally issued cards. PayPal can be accepted in some cases. We don’t accept checks or cash.
Can I take the course on any device?
- UTS – The course can be taken on any internet-connected device.
- BOTS – Yes, you can use any computer, tablet, or mobile device that is internet-connected. You can also switch between devices without losing any progress.
Is there a time limit to complete the course?
- UTS – You can take as long as you need to complete it.
- BOTS – There is no time limit to complete the course.
Can I listen to the course?
- UTS – They do not provide an audio version of the course.
- BOTS – Yes, audio read along is included for free.
How long does the course take?
- UTS – The school recommends spending at least 6 hours. There are no course timers, so you can move at your own pace.
- BOTS – The course meets the minimum word count to be equivalent to California’s 8-hour classroom course. But you can work at your own pace, and it’s possible to finish the course in 1-3 hours while still meeting California’s DMV requirements.
How long does the final exam take?
- UTS – Urban Traffic School did not provide an average for how long students take to finish the final exam.
- BOTS – The average student takes 15-20 minutes to complete the final exam.
Will I get due date reminders?
- UTS – Some parts of the website say due date reminders are included. Other pages list them as an add-on service.
- BOTS – Yes, due date reminders are free.
What happens if I fail the final exam?
- UTS – They offer unlimited course retakes included in the price of your course until you pass.
- BOTS – You’re allowed two consecutive attempts to pass the final exam (which means getting at least a 70% score). 99% of Best Online Traffic School customers pass on the first try. But in the unlikely attempt that you fail both attempts, you’ll have to re-register for the course, as per DMV rules. Retaking the course is still free.
Is the final exam open book?
- UTS – Yes, the final exam is open book.
- BOTS – California rules allow for an open book during the final quiz. You can refer back to course sections online without losing your time or place in the final exam.
Is same-day submission to the court available?
- UTS – Same-day submission can be purchased for an extra fee.
- BOTS – Yes, your information is sent to the DMV and your selected court as soon as you pass the final exam and submit payment for the course.
Do I get a copy of the certificate of completion?
- UTS – If you’d like to receive a copy instantly via email, it will cost extra.
- BOTS – Best Online Traffic School will have your certificate of completion available for download, and will email you a copy. You can request to have a physical copy mailed to you for a low extra fee.
Will the school track my case and make sure it gets closed?
- UTS – Urban Traffic School offers “Court View Notification” for an added fee, which will alert you when the court has viewed your submission. It does not appear to offer notification for when your case is closed.
- BOTS – For an extra fee, Best Online Traffic School offers “Ultimate Peace of Mind” Service. This means the school will send you email updates when your course is Submitted, Processing and Closed, so you don’t have to do it yourself.
How Does Customer Service Compare?
When dealing with the stress of clearing a traffic ticket, the last thing you need is the stress of bad customer service on top of that. That’s why we think customer service can make or break an online traffic school — you need prompt, friendly help if you run into any issues, especially when dealing with court deadlines.
Best Online Traffic School offers a number of ways to get in touch with a support representative:
- Emailing a support representative.
- Calling a support representative.
- Using a live chat feature on our website.
We offer 24/7 support, but it’s always possible that you might reach out at a time that our support representatives are busy with other customers. In that case, if you’re using our live chat feature, we offer the ability to search help articles while you wait — right there in the chat window.
Urban Traffic School also offers a number of ways to reach support:
- By phone (toll free or local).
- By email.
- By live chat on their website.
When we had questions for this article, we used Urban Traffic School’s live chat and received immediate answers from a friendly representative. That’s great news!
However, we did find that the information we received from the support representative was different from what’s available on Urban Traffic School’s website, as well as inconsistent and conflicting information on different pages of their website. We don’t know if customer service was right or wrong, or which online information is correct. That certainly gave us pause.
How Do Online Reviews Compare?
One of the best ways to see what kind of experience you might have with an online business is to turn to reviews, to see what kind of experiences other customers have had. Here’s how Best Online Traffic School and Urban Traffic School compare in online reviews.
Best Online Traffic School has a 5-star rating based on 269 reviews.
Urban Traffic School has a button on its website claiming to have over 200 Yelp reviews, but the button’s link is broken. A little further down, they claim to have 150+ Yelp reviews, with yet another broken link. We found a Yelp page where Urban Traffic School has a 5-star rating, but only 16 reviews. This is not the first time we’ve found inconsistent or incorrect information on Urban Traffic School’s website.
Best Online Traffic School has a 5-star rating based on 1,060 reviews.
That edges out Urban Traffic School, which has a 4.9-star rating based on 601 reviews.
Which Is More Affordable?
And finally, we get to one of the most important considerations when choosing an online traffic school: The cost.
Best Online Traffic School costs $14.99. That includes almost all available features — the only ones that cost extra are having a completion certificate physically mailed to you, and our “Ultimate Peace of Mind” service, which tracks your court case all the way to completion. That cost includes no hidden fees, and you only have to pay once you’ve taken the course and passed your final exam.
Urban Traffic School appears to cost $6.25. Some pages of its website mention Premium and Deluxe programs, but we couldn’t find pricing for those. That cost also doesn’t include some features that are commonly included by other traffic schools. For example:
- Same-day certificate processing costs an extra $8.95.
- Receiving your certificate by email costs an extra $9.95.
- “Court view notification” after your certificate is sent to the court costs an extra $8.95.
That means while Urban Traffic School may appear on the surface to be the more affordable of these two options, getting all the same features and services that BOTS offers will actually cost you $25.15, compared to BOTS’ $14.99.
Our Choice: Best Online Traffic School
At the end of the day, you want a traffic school you can trust to help you navigate the stressful experience of getting a traffic ticket cleared or masking points on your license.
While Urban Traffic School seems to have a lot of satisfied customers, we have a hard time getting past how much inconsistency there was in the information on the website and that we received from their customer service team. We don’t feel like we have reliable answers about this school’s features, offerings, or price.
That’s why, out of these two schools, Best Online Traffic School is the choice that will help you finish traffic school easily, affordably, and with as little stress as possible. See for yourself by signing up for free today.